27 Feb 2015

Leftover cranberries

Things didn't go quite as planned this past Thanksgiving, so we just recently had our turkey dinner.  As usual, there were leftover cranberries which I put in the freezer to use up later.  I decided to search online for a recipe that would use them up.  I found muffin recipes, loaf recipes and the recipe I decided to try which was for Cranberry Sauce Oat Bars, which I call cranberry squares.  They are the same idea as date squares only with cranberry sauce instead of a date mixture.
cranberries, squares, reduce food waste, tj's green adventure
 Cranberry Squares

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups oats
1 1/2 - 2 cups cranberry sauce

Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Work in butter.  Add brown sugar and oats and mix well.  Spread 1/2 of crumb mixture in greased 9 x 13 glass pan.  Pat to smooth.  Cover with cranberry sauce.  Cover with remaining crumbs.
Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan before slicing.
This is my simplified version.  You can get the original printed version here.

I was pleased with this recipe and will definitely make them the next time I have leftover cranberry sauce.  I found the flour taste was a bit strong so the next time I will use 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1 3/4 cups oats.  I also used about 2/3 of the crumbs for the bottom layer and the remaining crumbs for the top and I used a glass pan.  I found this recipe on a website called Hidden Ponies where there are lots of interesting recipes that would be worth checking out.

Green Highlights:
  • reduce food waste
Do you have a favourite recipe that uses cranberries?


-TJ      

No comments:

Post a Comment